Eiffage Energía through their subsidiary in Chile is building the extension of three water treatment plants. It concerns two projects in the International Airport of Santiago de Chile, consisting of a drinking water treatment plant and a waste water treatment plant, and a project for the company Aguas Andinas in the town of Buin, consisting of an extension of the existing waste water treatment plant.
The International Airport Arturo Merino Benítez in Santiago, Chile, is undergoing an extension to modernise its installations to accommodate the transit of 30,000,000 passengers a year.
–Airport waste water treatment plant
The plan consists in increasing the capacity for preliminary treatment where the physical solids, sand and grease are removed. To achieve this, an installation is being built with an automatic gate for solids separation, a desander, a grease bridge skimmer and a new equalisation tank of 800 m3 of sensitive volume, which incorporates all the necessary equipment to perform the tasks described.
In addition, the pumping capacity of the existing lifting plant is increased and other processes involved in water treatment are improved such as an improvement in the electrical installation.
–Airport Drinking Water Production Plant
The pressurisation system is modernised and the disinfection technology of the existing system is improved.
- Increasing the production flow rate of drinking water
- Increasing the pressurisation of the network, improving the level of service
- Improving and increasing capacity in the disinfection system using the technology of sodium hypochlorite, which replaces the old system of chlorine gas
- Generally improving existing supply networks of drinking water by changing existing piping.
The current pressurisation system is replaced by a new one consisting of six pumps of 45 kW each, equipped with frequency shifter, which are capable of providing a peak flow rate of 240 l/s, adapting to instantaneous demand in any case.
Eiffage Energía Chile , one of the most important subsidiaries of the Group worldwide faces this challenge while maintaining at all times the level of service in current airport installations, which remains 100% operational during the extension process.
Aguas Andinas extends its Buin Maipo waste water treatment plant
Eiffage Energía Chile is carrying out the extension of the waste water treatment plant to adapt it to the expected increase in demand.
The customer is Aguas Andinas, controlled by Sociedad General de Aguas de Barcelona (Agbar).
The extension consists of:
- Increasing the capacity of the lifting plant
- Implementing an aeration system to improve the pretreatment
- Increasing the capacity of the SBR tanks, where the reaction, aeration and clarification of the waters to be treated occurs
- Renewing the aeration grills in the existing SBR tanks and sludge accumulation tanks
- Constructing a second sludge thickener
- Constructing a second accumulation tank of thickened sludge
- Improving the electrical installation and Scada management system
- Other improvements in the existing installations
It should be noted that for the increase in the processing capacity of the SBR tanks, Eiffage Energía Chile is going to introduce pioneering technology in this field, in such a way that the efficiency of the process is substantially increased, avoiding turning to the traditional solution of building new SBR tanks. This technology reduces the energy consumption during the operation with respect to the traditional solution, resulting in the most economical and eco-friendly solution.
It also involves economic and space savings for the customer, since what is being achieved is improving the effectiveness of the current SBR. For this, a European technology incorporating particles in the water which increase biological activity and which are recovered and returned to the SBR by means of hydrocyclones designed specifically for this work, is used.