Eiffage Energía will take part in the electrification of the railway network of Majorca together with Telice S.A. and Azvi S.A., the other two companies which will work on this project. The work was awarded on 16 May, following a contract following a request for tenders for the award of technical assistance services for which nine companies were bidding.
The construction project of the railway electrification will cover the stretch between the stations of Enllaç and the Terminal Station of Sa Pobla including all diversions and existing sidings. The Council of the Balearic Government initiated the process for the electrification plan of this railway line and have managed to bring it forward one year ahead of schedule. The work will be completed in 12 months and has a budget of more than 9.9 million euros.
Serveis Ferroviaris de Mallorca (SFM) (Majorca’s Railway Services) as a public company will be in charge of the management of the work. Eiffage Energía together with Telice S.A. and Azvi S.A., will be the companies responsible for implementing this major project. This association in Temporary Union of Companies (UTE) will make the Majorcan railway fully electric.
The provision of services of power supply includes the following installations:
- 2 Units Traction substations for power supply at 1500 V DC. The first will be built at Llubí station and the second one near Sa Pobla.
- Implementation of a conventional catenary system in the entire stretch ranging from leaving Enllaç station to Sa Pobla (Kilometre points: 33 + 998) to the end of line buffer stops of Sa Pobla station (Kilometre points: 45 + 800), with a length of railway to electrify of approximately 12 km.
- Implementation of two medium voltage lines at 15 kV along the path for interconnecting traction substations and technical cabins and station buildings of the stretch.
- Service connection lines for the power supply for the new substations of the stretch.
- Concreted channelling of Ø 160 mm² and 110 mm² tubes for laying cables.
The implementation of the electrification of the line will bring many benefits and service improvements:
- Elimination of train changes
- Reduction in travel time
- More comfort (by eliminating noise and vibration)
Also significant environmental progress can be added, such as reduced acoustic and CO2 emissions and reduced use of lubricant contaminants.
The aim of this project of electrification of the existing single line between Enllaç and Sa Pobla is undoubtedly a breakthrough in the growth and development for Majorca. The role of Eiffage Energía will be of great importance and will be one step more towards sustainable mobility.